Thursday, November 13, 2008

ware the ham are we??

wareham I? in wareham! so we are underway.. at this point 5 days into our voyage. its been a steady routine of moving so far. south south south. our departure day saw us off with a bunch of friends and family on the docks in great bay. we motored down the river and had a great sail down to newburyport, MA arriving just as it got dark. we were able to meet up with arthur and his wife who took us out to a great dinner..thanks guys! next morning we were able to have breakfast with annalisa's aunt and uncle virginia and bob before shoving off again for the annisquam river.
this was our best afternoon of sailing so far with the wind off our starboard quarter. it was a beautiful day and we were able to sail into the river and right to our mooring for the night. the next day brought us through the river and the blynmann canal to gloucester harbour. our sights then sighted for cape cod canal we had about 52 miles ahead of us across massachussetts bay. about 16 hours later we motored up the cape cod canal and tied up between two wooden pilings for the night and were able to pass through the canal the next morning without incident, besides passing a ridiculously big cargo ship mid canal and right under a bridge! wow. so we are now anchored for a few days just on the south side of the C.C canal riding out some rainy weather and waiting for the winds to shift back to the west. looks like they will be from the south and southeast for the next 2 days anyway which is right on our nose with our course set for cuttyhunk island and then on to block island.
sounds like justin and brenden are well underway and through a few of the locks up in ithica, on there way down to albany. we look forward to meeting up with them in new york harbor within the next week and a half or so. ill jump right to some pictures now..enjoy :) -joel



p.s to mathew...were still trying to wrap our heads around it but pretty darn exciting :)





boston from the east



tied up in the C.C canal


snug as a couplea bugs underway to cape cod


ye ha its cold!


headed for newburyport


entering newburyport at dusk


goodbye great bay and new hampshire!


thanks send off crew for making it down on a blustry sunday!

2 comments:

mom said...

WOW! Great pictures and so good to hear that all is well. Still can't believe you went 52 miles in a day. Watch out for those ridicously big cargo ships but keep having grand adventures. Love you all!!!!

Kevin B. said...

Dear Joel and Annalisa, We’ve never met in person but my parents talk about you all the time. My name is Kevin Berube, Arthur and Pats oldest son. My dad told me about you blog and I just had to check it out. UNBELIEABLE !!!!! That’ all I can think. That boat meant some much not only to my dad but to me also. I ‘m so grateful someone like you came and save it from the scrap yard. I practically grew up in that boat. It broke my heart when dad sold it. I just couldn’t afford to take care of it myself and never seemed to be able to find the time for it. I look at the Wanderer in these picture and tears come to my eyes. For over thirty years I spent my summer weekends sailing her with my dad. I have a lot of memories stored up in the Wanderer, many as child. This could not have turned out any better for my dads boat. We can now watch her sail again and continue her legacy. She looks great. My thoughts and prayers are with you.


HAPPY SAILING AND TAKE CARE

Sincerely
Kevin Berube